Monday, May 15, 2006

P.G. & E. supports non-standard browser technologies

PG&E's website today told me that I was using an unsupported browser (I use Opera most of the time). As I was trying over and over to work around the problem they prompted me to fill out a satisfaction survey. I answered all of the questions with "Excellent" because they had to do with user friendliness. However, at the end it asked for a comment. This is what I wrote:

Your website tells me that my preferred browser (Opera) is not supported. This is sad since it happens to be the fastest browser, the most secure, compared to IE and Firefox, and the most "standards compliant" browser available. Everyone has rushed to support Firefox because of media attention but a superb browser such as Opera, which has been around years longer than Firefox, is passed over again and again. It would be nice if the web developers of this generation would get up to speed and get on the same page as everyone else. Stop supporting incompatible browser technologies created by Microsoft developers who want to create their own version of the Internet.

More people need to complain when their preferred browser isn't supported, particularly if it's one of the top alternatives (Opera, Firefox, Safari for Macs, or Konquerer for Linux). These guys need to realize that the world is not made up of just Bill's boys. The law makes special accomodations for disabled people, maybe we need to get similar laws for people in a minority computing category like Macs or Linux. A law needs to be written that says any website must be compatible with any standards compliant browser. Making an IE only website only limits your exposure. When will web developers realize that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A better response might have been to say they should follow Yahoo's lead by allowing all browsers as default, and only shutting out those that are known not to work. A good reference is at:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs.html

It's easily the best approach I've seen to handling browser differences.

Terry said...

Thanks for your comment and the link (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs.html). I didn't know Yahoo was so concerned about browser compatibility but I'm excited to know they make an effort to "support all browsers." A few years ago I signed up for SBC Yahoo DSL service and was disappointed when my perfect "my.yahoo.com" page was converted automatically to "sbc.yahoo.com" and was no longer compatible with Opera (my browser). So... I was forced to make a decision: switch browsers or never use the MyYahoo portal again -- guess which one won?